Skip to main content

Thirty-Five Fish

At the end of 2004, I had just turned 21, and had been recently dumped by my high-school girlfriend.  In between wallowing and distracting myself with endless commitments, I decided to try online dating.

Back then, in the days before smartphones, access to the internet meant plugging one end of a blue cord into your computer and the other into the wall.  From my desk, I created an account, adding a photo of myself in a pink halterneck dress.  I added my search filters (inner-city Melbourne, aged 18 to 25, ticked "reading" as an interest) and dozens of profiles appeared.

It seemed like magic: I told an algorithm what kind of partner I wanted, and the algorithm diligently introduced me to a range of people.  Having grown up in the 1990s, it really did feel like living in the future.

Within weeks, I had a new girlfriend: a PhD student who went to the same university as me.  My friends said she looked like Missy Higgins, and I didn't see the resemblance but was pleased nonetheless.

The relationship lasted eight months, after which time I again returned to the website to find someone new.  This continued, with varying degrees of success, for seven years.

In that time I met dozens of people.  Some dates were disastrous, some were lacklustre, and others were great.  I met one person who became my housemate, and is now the mother of my daughter's best friend.  Another became my regular Friday night drinking-and-dancing buddy for a while, before finding true love and getting married in Hawaii.  My sister and I flew over for the wedding.  It was delightful.

Despite my largely-positive experiences, I didn't really get used to the feelings of disappointment, rejection or guilt.  All three hit me quite hard as the optimism I felt about each person came to an end, whether after ten minutes or a year.  It was those feelings that dominate my memories of the dating scene.  

My poem Thirty-Five Fish is about some of the ways that these dates or relationships ended, through phrases spoken by the other person.  I admit I've taken a bit of poetic license.  Words are paraphrased and simplified, in some cases removing context that affects meaning.

Others occurred exactly as written.  

I really did decide to stop seeing someone after learning that she didn't separate out recyclables, and another after she admitted she hated puppies.

I also really did have someone pause halfway through dinner and say to me with concern, "you seem very queer?".  It was a confusing observation, given that we were two women on a date.  (What part of that would suggest I wasn't queer?)  I didn't know how to respond, other than with, "yes?", to which she replied with a disapproving "hmm", and that was the end of that. 

Thirty-Five Fish was published in Baby Teeth Journal in 2021, and can be read here: www.babyteethjournal.com/home/stephamir

For anyone wondering how the story ends, I met my current partner at a pub trivia night, where we were introduced by a mutual friend.  Unfortunately I ignored her because I was interested in someone else at the time, but we met again on an online dating site a few months later.

We've now been together nearly ten years and have two children together.  Thank-you, OkCupid!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heathrow

My poem Heathrow was written for the  'Dreams' issue of Ghost Girls Zine . I enjoy themed calls for submissions, because it often prompts me to write something new.  In this case, I wrote about my recurring dream of running late for an international flight.  I am so often lost in an airport, or in tunnels between platforms at unfamiliar train stations. Something I enjoy about poetry is the opportunity to write something completely bizarre, and to have others read it and laugh, saying "yes, it's just like that!" Thanks to Ghost Girls for the inspiration. Heathrow It’s 10am. The plane is leaving at 11. The gate is past the airport juice bar.   It’s 4pm. The plane left at 11. You are at the juice bar on a beach in Jamaica.   It’s 11am. You are on the plane, with your pineapple-mango mocktail and your sleeping bag. It’s going to be a long flight. You wish you hadn’t left your books on your hotel bed.   You are at the hotel, collecting your books, but

Euphausia superba

Three of my poems were published in   Otoliths   journal, on 1 August 2022. Otoliths is  an  Australian online journal created by Queensland-based poet Mark Young. One thing that drew me to this journal was its name. Otoliths are small round bones in the ears of vertebrate animals (including humans). They sense gravity and movement, which is crucial for balance. As an undergraduate zoology student, I spent hours volunteering on a research project that involved removing the otoliths from small fish. The otoliths absorbed minerals from the water that the fish were drinking and living in, so by matching the mineral composition with the concentrations from different creeks and rivers, it was possible to see where the fish had migrated from. I don't think I ever found out what the research findings were, but I do remember that yanking out bits of bone from behind hundreds of fish-brains was horrifying and satisfying in equal parts. When it came time to choose my own research project for

Cash, Handshakes and Crowded Trains

I live in Melbourne, which claimed to be "the world's most liveable city", until COVID hit us harder than anywhere else in the country. For me, 2020 was a bit of a weird time for my city and the world to be turned upside-down by a pandemic.  The reason was, I'd spent the last two years fighting hard against obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), which hit me hard in 2018 following hospitalisation with a life-threatening illness and ongoing physical disability.  My OCD manifested in a few ways, but the main one was around the avoidance of germs.  So, it was somewhat surreal to suddenly have everyone else fretting along beside me, but with a slightly different emphasis. While the reality of OCD was very clear to me, it was often spoken about it a way that I found profoundly irritating.  The preoccupations and self-protection mechanisms of OCD suffers were described as being completely ridiculous, when in fact many (though not all) are grounded in truth, albeit taken to un